Thursday, February 25, 2010

Baby Bear Becomes Baby Octopus

The other morning, I spotted Baby Bear slowly making his way from kitchen to family room while carrying the following items all at the same time:

1. His bowl of oatmeal.

2. A DVD he'd selected for viewing.

3. His electronic keyboard, which is about three feet long.

4. A sensory ball that he's become very attached to. He had it wedged between his legs, which I've seen him do when he needs to free up his hands for other things, like standing at the bathroom sink to get a drink of water. He doesn't seem to want to lose contact with it. However, with every step he took, the ball would slip, and then he'd pause to try and reposition it--all while balancing the other three items.

Clearly he had plans, and wasn't about to waste time making separate trips to transport all the items he needed for his comfort.

I can't begin to describe how he did all of this. How he managed it for the length of time he did, I have no idea. I didn't have the camera handy to catch a photo of this amazing juggling act, but even if I had, the flash might have startled him into dropping a couple of things I'd rather not see crashing to the floor.

At the very least, I grabbed his bowl of oatmeal. I tried telling him to let the ball drop and kick it forward as he went on his way, but now that he was free of the oatmeal bowl, he just picked it up and continued on his precariously merry way.

I told him he needed more hands. But don't we all?

No comments: